In this course, you will test your ideas and build your capacity to act in the world. You will discover a global perspective in all that you do. Global activism will be one possibility after this course. Global awareness will be a certainty.
THE COURSE IDEA IN SHORT
A globally-oriented, interdisciplinary course focusing on key current global issues and:
-Taught in English by a multicultural faculty to a diverse student body
- Based on cross-cutting learning and action modules
- Enabling solid inputs, active participation leading to concrete results, e.g. articles, short films, multimedia presentations, public actions, exhibitions, performances, and local or global communications initiatives
- Providing the skills and perspectives relevant for navigating both personally and professionally in any corner of the world
- With key projects and activities driven by students’ own interests
THEMES TO EXPLORE
You will examine globalization through the lenses of: ethics (e.g. “Fair Trade” and the free movement of peoples); society and culture (freedom of speech and religious fundamentalism); the environment (international management thereof); and a post-September 11th world. You will also explore the larger geo-political forces at work in the world and observe how these systems and structures impact people’s economic situations worldwide. Read more about Crossing Borders’ themes.
- To provide a unique learning environment for youth from around the world to raise their awareness about the key global forces and structures impacting their lives.
- To offer dialogue space, communication and networking skills for becoming active global citizens with the competencies to seek understanding, communicate, connect and cooperate with other people.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Applicants must be:
- minimum 18 years of age
- have sufficient knowlegde of English to able to follow lectures and participate in discussions
- be able to raise the necessary tuition fee
- be able to take care of his/her visa and travel cost to Denmark
- be interested in international, global and intercultural dialogue
As a participant, you will:
- Live and study in an international environment.
- Attend lectures and workshops conducted by experts in the field.
- Engage in individual and group projects.
- Join in two-week study-tours across Denmark.
- Develop and conduct workshops on the UN MDGs and voluntarism with high school students in Denmark
- Visit relevant Danish NGOs and institutions
- Take parts in campaigns with fellow students and teachers.
STUDY-TOUR IN DENMARK
The main aim of the study-tour is to gain a direct experience of the most sustainable and innovative aspects of Danish society and culture. The tour will take you to key eco-centres and cultural sites of interests in Jutland and on Funen and Samsoe Islands. As the course focuses on the core, current global-issues of concern, you will explore sustainable living in-action, across various regions of Denmark. You will visit, stay-at and participate in the everyday tasks taking place in these innovative eco-villages and renewable energy centres. The programme will include visits to: Hans Christian Andersen Museum in Odense; the Freeland Ecovillage in Djursland; an NGO Center in Aarhus; the Renewable Energy Island of Samsoe; and more.
TRAVEL PROGRAMME FOR FALL 2012
October 14th: Travel by train and ferry to the island of Ærø, south of Funen. We will visit Nils Ørum?s big organic farm and see the island's special solar panel heating system
October 17th: Travel to Odense and visit the HC Andersen Museum
October 18th: Travel to Århus where we will visit the ecological village of Friland, the Chaos Pilotes school, the NGO centre and the famous outdoor museum Den Gamle By (The Old City)
October 22nd: Travel by ferry to Samsø, where we will stay on an organic farm and visit the Energy Academy and Samsø Nature School
October 26th: return to Humlebæk and Krogerup
SPRING 2012 STUDIES PROGRAMME (click on each page to enlarge)
Information on Krogerup Folk High School and the concept of Danish folk high schools:
The Economics of Happiness:
Environmental Activist Wangari Maathai's film "Taking Root":
|From Overconsumption to Solidarity|
|Keeping the Momentum|
|Crossing Borders Japan|
|Voices of Youth (Ghana)|
|Crossing Borders Pakistan|
|DEMENA Climate Ambassadors|
Crossing Borders is a non-governmental and not-for-profit organisation based in Humlebaek, Denmark with cooperating partners in Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Palestine, Ghana, Ethiopia and a wide range of European countries.
Visit our About page for more info